Friends of Brook Park needs your help.
While we are proud to bring you our environmental programs, we need your support to keep us going. Whether you’ve just met us, known us for a season or our ten plus years, now is a great time to help us out with a generous seasonal donation. Donate today.
Your contribution is fully tax-deductible and will go directly to offering nature education activities, making New York a greener, healthier place to live.
In the words of a ninth grader:
Today I visited Brook Park and I loved being there feeling the air on my face and tasting nutrients that are fresh and clean and from mother nature herself. Places like this are important because they let people stop and think and breathe in the good nature air and take a step back to what we have to do to keep our planet healthy and clean. Brook Park is called Brook Park because there was/is a body of water under all… that there is right now. What I loved about this experience was that I did a lot of things I never thought I would be able to do. All that was new to me, and I’d love for someone else to have an experience with places like Brook Park.
Your support has helped us:
* Continue to expand a model of urban farming, with hundreds of youth involved in organic gardening with local and city-wide schools and groups like Build On
* Expand our growing area and move forward on the brook restoration project with Gaia Institute, the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration, Congress Member Serrano and Speaker Viverito
* Advancing a new park on the Harlem River, convening meetings with a Parks Commissioner and two City Council Members
* Restore the shoreline by designing and planting hundreds of native species with NYC Council on the Environment
* Jumpstart the Harlem River Working Group, over fifty stakeholders invested in the long-term enhancement of this vital waterway, with a visit by the Interior Secretary Ken Salazaar this year
* Spearheaded challenges to rezoning and inappropriate infrastructures that would block waterfront access and navigation, winning a commitment from Con Ed to remove cables that prohibit boating on the Bronx Kill
* Hosting many arts and indigenous cultural gatherings uniting a diverse array of people with groups like Vamos La Pena and United Confederation of Taino People, the South Bronx Community Congress, and more
* Engaging in city and state-wide, regional, national and international efforts about Climate Change, to ban fracking and stop subsidizing diesel trucking fleets like FreshDirect to take over our waterfront
* Packing a public hearing about the future of community gardens, promoting a law to preserve them all
We know it is always a busy time of year, but please take a moment to give right now, knowing that you’ve done your part to support an organization you care about and a cause you believe in.
Support Friends of Brook Park today.
As the year gets going, we at FoBP want to thank those of you who are ready to get even more involved with us this year with contributions of much-needed funding, volunteer time, and personal support. You sustain us.
You can also help by by sharing this appeal with your network of friends and family, on Facebook too. If you have used the garden or the rivers, or just appreciate what we do, please email this letter out with a personal note to your friends and colleagues and families.
Some companies have a matching grant fund, please inquire about that at your place of work.
Thanks again for all you do.
Friends of Brook Park